At least two people have been killed and five others wounded after clashes flared up between Puntland and Galmudug troops in Galkayo.
A temporary ceasefire between warring parties in the central Somali collapsed Monday evening as two sides resumed fighting in the town.
Earlier Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud asked the leaders of Puntland and its neighboring regional State Galmudug to stop the clashes which again displaced hundreds of residents from their homes.
Medics in the town reported the death of two combatants and injury of five others as the two sides exchanged mortar shells and anti aircraft missiles in the town.
The wounded were admitted to hospitals in Galkayo.
The two sides accused each other of violating the ceasefire deal and initiating the fighting.
Galmudug administration said the fighting broke out in an argument over land.
"Puntland administration deployed forces at a disputed construction site last night and the fighting erupted this morning.
It stopped now but six people from the two sides were killed during the clashes”, Mohamed Hassan Sahal, a spokesman for the Galmudug administration said.
Puntland authorities in a statement accused Galmudug forces of attacking them "to retaliate” for the US strike.
"The state of Puntland notes that it will defend its people and territories from the invasion waged by Al-Shabaab terrorists and their Galmudug allies.” said Puntland in a statement.
The relation between Puntland and Galmudug soared last month after Galmudug said a US strike aimed at Al Shabaab militants had in fact killed 13 of its soldiers.
Galkayo is divided into two zones, where the northern portion forms part of Puntland state, while its southern part is governed by the Galmudug administration.